Thoughts on a Challenging Journey

A journal composed during the day-to-day trials of a prolonged battle with colon cancer, updating friends and family on treatment, attitudes, thoughts, and feelings.

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Butterflies





Day 88....

And counting...

I have been gone for a few days again, I know you all know that because I don't post when I am not here. Sandi is still doing well, she seems to be getting a bit stronger and is able to sit up on the side of the bed a few times a day. Today she asked for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich so Mom and I jumped to get it for her because she doesn't have much of an appetite for anything these days! What Sandi want's Sandi gets!

Yesterday was a busy day with Sandi's sister in law Jo having a party for her Daughter who graduated from High School on Tuesday and I had a party for the twins who will turn 7 next weekend. We were all running around yesterday, I hear that the party for Emily went well and there were over 25 people at my mother in law's house last night to have ice cream cake with Megan and Abby.

It is possible that we are looking at breaking Sandi out of this joint in a week or so to take her home with Hospice. Right now we are not positive and until now Sandi wouldn't even consider it but as the months wear on here it looks like a better and better idea especially since my kids will be out of school and we can move up here to help take care of her at home. This will be much easier in some ways and more difficult in others but will probably give her much desired time with her kids as well as more privacy than all of us living in one room for three months together has afforded her. Until now she has not wanted to take this illness home with her and make it more real in their home but I think three months in a hospital room has changed her outlook on that just a bit. More on this as the situation develops!

For now I will leave you with some pictures of the butterflies that we have been raising in Sandi's room. Jami brought some caterpillars for Lauren to raise and we decided to keep them here. As soon as they spun themselves into their chrysalis' we put them in the butterfly cage as we were told to by the directions and waited. Just nine days later we have two that have hatched? There has been some discussion about whether that is the correct term or not! I think Mom and Sandi and I are more excited about this than the kids but hey...we spend more time with them! Those nasty looking brown things are more cocoons waiting to be butterflies! Any ideas on what we should name our new friends? Hope and Faith comes to mind as good name choices but since those are the names of my husbands second cousins I hesitate to name them that. Guess we will keep working on it!

Have a happy Memorial Day and keep in mind all of those that have died for our freedom and pray for the safety of those that are currently fighting so that we may enjoy all of the freedoms and security that we take so much for granted! Be safe!

9 Comments:

Blogger Shelley said...

Kristi, Thanks for updating the blog. You all will stay in my prayers and thoughts as you make arrangements to get Sandi home.

Sandi, I just want you to know that you are on my mind at least a dozen times a day and you and your family remain in my prayers.

I enjoyed reading about the butterflies! The names Inspiration, Courage, and Grace come to mind.

Love,
Shelley (Wells) Smith
ShelleyMO2GA@googlemail.com
charshel@bulloch.net

May 27, 2007 at 4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for keeping us updated. Our prayers are with Sandi and family.

This blog reminded me of a poem I once read:

METAMORPHOSIS
A caterpillar asked God, "What happens when I die?" God replied. "Have you seen the butterfly?" The caterpillar, "Yes, do I have to die to become one?" God said, "No, not really. A part of you dies, but another, stronger part of you continues to live - it just changes forms."

We had our dance recital on Friday. We dedicated the last song of the show to Sandi. It was titled "I can only imagine". She doesn't know this, but she has been such an inspiration to many of my dancers.

Sincerely,
Caprece and Savannah Gomez
Dance Craze in Rogersville

May 27, 2007 at 9:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mrs. Gaddy, That is sooo exciting you might get to go home. I bet your kids are happy to. I know i would be. Those butterflies are really pretty to, now you have even more nature in your room, bet u love that. We raised those in 3rd grade at ozark in mrs. gentrys class. There really cool. I wish they would have been there when i saw u. oh well. i went to celebration city yesterday and know my neck and back is killing me. I think it's cause i rode every ride they had. lol. well luv ya and miss ya, I will probably be up sometime soon, but don't know when! your in my prayers!
Abby

May 28, 2007 at 10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We were at the Dance Craze Dance Recital on Friday evening, and those dancers did a beautiful tribute to you, Sandi. I don't think there could have been a dry eye in the place - you have touched so many lives, young and old, and our prayers continue to be with you and your family each and every day!
With our Love and Prayers!
Kendall, Carrie, Madison, & Kennedy

May 28, 2007 at 12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mrs. Gaddy, Its me again, but i just wanted to say not to give up! You mean so much to so many people! I don't know what i would do without you. There are so many kids out there that still need to learn a lot from you, so like i said keep fighting and don't give up
luv ya and miss ya, you are in my prayers
Abby

May 28, 2007 at 8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sandi,
Just getting your news from old high school friends. I remember learning my way around the darkroom with your help during Yearbook. Always did enjoy your excellent photos. :)
I will definitely keep you in my prayers. Hope that you are able to get home this summer to be with your beautiful children.
Best wishes,
Liz (Zink) Ward
elward@tx.rr.com

May 29, 2007 at 11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristi,Thanks for keeping us updated. You have a talent for writing just like Sandi.

Sandi, I'm so thankful that you are continuing to gain strength and are doing better. We pray for you every day. You are such an inspiration. I don't have to tell you again what a wonderful influence you have had on Katelyn and how much she adores you. All you have to do is read the comments of all the people that write in to know that you are a very special person!! The books that you loaned Katelyn to read are some of her favorites and for her birthday all she wants is to get all of the Christy Miller and Sierra Jensen series and The Todd and Christy College Year series so she can read them over and over again!! Rhonda Leeper has loaned her some Janette Oke books (but I think she might have read all of them from you) She loaned her some Lori Wick books too that she is reading. Well, enough of that. Just wanted to say Hello!and let you know we always think of you.
Love and Prayers,
Lori Young

May 29, 2007 at 6:16 PM  
Blogger Cindy Baum said...

Hey Sandi,
Just thought I would drop you a quick little note to let you know I am thinking of you. I plan on going up to visit you one night this week, maybe even tonight.
Well Joel and Mike got to go golfing together. Joel really enjoyed himself, he said he wants to go with Mike more often. I hope and pray they can become good friends. The Lord works in mysterious ways. Again look at how many times we talked about getting them together. WOW!
Well I guess I better get back to work. Love ya.
Love,
Cindy Baum

May 30, 2007 at 10:42 AM  
Blogger Cindy Baum said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

May 30, 2007 at 10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home