Thoughts on a Challenging Journey

A journal composed during the day-to-day trials of a prolonged battle with colon cancer, updating friends and family on treatment, attitudes, thoughts, and feelings.

Saturday, April 21, 2007

New Digs...

Sandi has been over at Walnut Lawn in their transitional facility for a week now and things are starting to go a bit smoother. At first it was a really big challenge due to the fact that we were so used to the staff and procedures on the other floor and we had a lot more freedom to do things for Sandi without having to always ask for permission or help. There we had a kitchen at our disposal with a microwave and ice and water and refrigerators stocked with things Sandi could eat without having to go through the hospital cafeteria. Here we have to ask for ice and only have access to the cafe when it is open which is kind of limited. We were able to bring in a refrigerator so we can keep drinks and yogurt and things for her which has made this a bit easier but it is still a bit restrictive for our likes! We are getting to know the staff here a lot better and they are very accommodating and friendly. They are just not used to patients in Sandi's condition and we all had some acclimating to do.

Sandi is doing well. She is recovering from an infection which has meant a lot more medication to treat but those should be done soon which will be nice so she doesnt' have so many iv changes and alarms going off when they are done! She began having more trouble breathing once we got over here but she had a procedure on Thursday called a thoracentisis which removed a great deal of fluid from the space around her left lung which was keeping it from being able to fully inflate and was making her very uncomfortable and unable to breathe well. We hope that this will last for a while because the process of getting over to the hospital again for the procedure was quite a challenge and is not something we wish to do frequently. She is resting more comfortably now and is still doing pretty well.





We do have a MUCH larger room here. I am going to post some pictures of the room and all of the posters and cards and flowers that have been put back up. She feels right at home with all of this and those of us that stay with her each night appreciate that she has an extra bed so we no longer have to sleep on a cot or the couch!

Keep her in your thoughts and prayers. She hopes that all of her students did their best on their MAP testing last week and that you will try your hardest on the rest of it! She really wishes that she could be there with you and wants to hear that you all did the best you have ever done! What a great way to honor your teacher than to do your best!

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mrs. Gaddy,
Hi, sounds like your doing great! Hang Tough.
Hannah Lowe

April 23, 2007 at 1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi mrs gaddy,, its jennah. My mom and I would like to come see you I just dont know when is ok with you and when isn't. So if you could make a post on visiting hours that would be great.. if there are any, that is. Nice to hear you're doing better. I'd like to get up there and say hello though. So get back to me when you can. Love you,

Jennah Custer

April 23, 2007 at 2:32 PM  
Blogger Cindy Baum said...

Hey Sandi,
Sounds like the changing of the rooms was quite a task. I hope things are better for you now. The room looks much bigger. Thats good for all of your guest. I hope your students keep sending in the posters, they look great! I will try to come and visit you very soon, I came down with something in my throat this last weekend so I want to make sure I'm over it before going up there. I would not want you to catch anything.
Hang in there! I'm praying for you and your family everyday.
With lots of love,
Cindy

April 23, 2007 at 2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mrs.Gaddy! it looks like an awesome room that you are stsying in and i hope that is more comfortable for you! I think that most of us did our best on the test and we are getting prepared for the math part of it tomorrow. Well, i have to go, i miss you and love you,
Lauren Roy

April 23, 2007 at 7:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mrs. Gaddy
it sounds like you are doing better, that is good! I have been out of school for almost a week with pneaumonia(?), i don't like it, i don't know how you do it I have wanted to go outside so bad but no i have to lay on the stupid couch! I went outside once today, that was nice. Maybe you can to. well i got to go ttyl
love
Abby

April 24, 2007 at 10:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Sandi,

My gosh, that room is HUGE. Did you tell them you were visiting royalty or something and they gave you the Presidental suite??

Lots of room for posters -- good thing -- your walls were getting pretty packed.

Love you Hon, you KNOW Uncle Roger & I are praying for you.
I hope your Mom gave you a big hug FROM US... actually 2, since we'd both like to be hugging you in person.

Love you, Aunt Betty

April 25, 2007 at 9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mrs.Gaddy
Its Austin again I have been hearing from different students and teachers about you and how lauren is handeling it. You have a very brave young girl and you should be proud, after all she is just like her mother. You are a wonderful lady and I cant wait to see you I am plaining on stopping by Friday the 27th. I was their 2 other times once you had company so I did not come in (thats when I left the card), and the other you were medicated. So, I did not want to wake you up. Your mother seems like a very nice woman I had the pleasure of speaking with her for a breif moment. Thanks so much for all you do and all you have done. You are in my thoughts and prayers more and more each day. Thanks 4 everything. Untill next time bye bye.

Hugs and prayers
Austin Dinwiddie

See you tomorrow

April 26, 2007 at 10:20 AM  
Blogger Cindy Baum said...

Dear Sandi and Family,
I just want you to know how much I am thinking of you all. Please if you need anything call me 724-8837 or 849-5308 anytime day or night. I love all of you guys and I want you to know I am here for you. Please know you all are in my thoughts and prayers.
Sandi, I want so bad to go up there and see you; however I have this terrible cold right now. I pray everyday, several times a day for your comfort. Please know that even though I'm not there to tell you in person, I love you so much! Thank you so much for the things you have taught me. I know God put you and I in the same place at the same time for a reason. You are such an inspiration.
Mike,
Joel and I are here for you if you need anything. Please do not hesitate to call us.
God Bless,
Cindy

April 26, 2007 at 3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sandi,

I've been thinking about you and praying for you. I was going to come by on Monday, but developed bronchitis. Your room looks great. Every time I hear the song "Praise You in this Storm" by Casting Crowns, I think of you. You always glorify God through your words and actions. You continue to praise HIM even in your obstacles. Your courage, grace, and faith inspire me every day. You have touched my life in so many ways, more than you know. Hang in there!

Love and Prayers,
Liza Nevenhoven

Liza Nevenhoven

April 26, 2007 at 6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,Sandi, I've been on this everyday checking to see how your doing.I'm glad to hear your in a bigger room. I love seeing the new posters.We're all praying for you.Love ya,Debbie

p.s. we need a new update! tell everyone I said Hi.

April 28, 2007 at 2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey miss Gaddy ur cross from student Council lks nice (lol since i signed it!!)
~MICAYLA MILES~

May 7, 2007 at 8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey mrs gaddy this is jessica roberts i reaslly hope you end up ok and we all pray for you every day we all really want you to come back to school when your better just to say hi and to let us all know your ok well please get better. im making a poster for you and im taking pictures of everyone and we're going to put the pictures on the poster its going to look so cool. Well ttly bye

May 8, 2007 at 4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve Garrigan here. 1st Hour World History Class. All Sophomores. Ten of my students had your English or Creative writing class.

They keep you in their prayers. You are a "necessary treasure".

God is with you. Steve

May 11, 2007 at 8:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mrs Gaddy!
Its been a long time sicne I'v talk to you. I hear your doing good. I hope I can come see you but its really busy around hear. I want to know if you need anything anything at all. I MISS YOU SO MUCH!
LUV YA
Kady Leonardi

May 13, 2007 at 8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mrs.Gaddy! It's so good to know your doing better. We all miss ya! Hang in there! Mr.Queen says hello and wants to know if u got your visa cards we all love u and look forward to seeing u soon!
All our love,
Mr.Queen's
3rd hour
civics
class

May 16, 2007 at 10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home