Thoughts on a Challenging Journey

A journal composed during the day-to-day trials of a prolonged battle with colon cancer, updating friends and family on treatment, attitudes, thoughts, and feelings.

Thursday, May 17, 2007

78 days

I was getting tired of counting the weeks so I thought for a change we could count the days.
March 1st seems like it was so long ago. Apparently it was, 78 days is a LONG time!

We can't seem to remember the date exactly but it was around 4 years ago this month that Sandi was first diagnosed. She went into the hospital on a Wednesday I think and they did the surgery on Thursday for what was thought to be appendicitis and it turned out to be this horrible cancer. All I remember was that it was a Monday night when mom called me to tell me what the diagnosis actually was. It never even occurred to us that she could be stricken with this
at the tender age of 29. Turns out May is just a bad month all around where Sandi and this illness are concerned. Both of her re-occurrences were diagnosed in May as well. Sandi and I used to joke that we were just going to tear the month of May out of our calendars and go on with our lives!

That said, Sandi has always had this great Pollyanna attitude about this. Those of you who know her personally know that she doesn't allow it to drag her down. For every bad thing that happens she seems to find the positive side to focus on. I have given her a lot of grief about this but it is one of the things that I admire most about her! The ability to focus on the positive aspects, whether it is the fact that because she was diagnosed in May so she had the summer to heal from her surgery so she wouldn't miss as much school or the fact that she was diagnosed early enough to give her a fighting chance is a quality of Sandi that many of us need to adopt I think!

Sandi didn't give up then and she is not giving up now. She seems to be breathing a little easier again and while there is not much new to report on she is still doing much better than expected and she is still keeping the doctors on their toes. Each day is certainly new with Sandi! Keep praying for her strength and health. Each prayer helps.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristi, I have not met you but I know you are being pulled in many directions right now. I do thank you and appreciate you updating the blog!

Sandi, You are amazing! May God be glorified in the strength He is giving you each day.
Love,
Paula

May 17, 2007 at 11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sandi&Kristi,
william patrick was up all night w/ the flu so i'm sorry i won't be able to stop in as planned...

thanks for the update; i'm sorry to be one of those clammoring for an update. so true that you ALL are unbelievably positive and are a true sign of god at work in our lives. i'm happy to hear sandi's a little better today, maybe by next week when i stop in again she'll be up for andy's!
praying hard,
amy carroll

May 17, 2007 at 12:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Kristi, the blog looks great. We all thank you for keeping us up to date. Sandi, you are such an inspiration. God is truly working, as Kristi was saying in all of us.Hang in there--God is in control.
Love you both,
Mary

May 17, 2007 at 8:48 PM  
Blogger Cindy Baum said...

Sandi,
Just wanted to drop a quick note to let you know that Laura Klotz (I don't know her maiden name)and I will be coming by to see you this evening after work. Hope you have a good day. See you in a little while.
Love,
Cindy Baum

May 18, 2007 at 10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mrs.Gaddy!
Thats so cool how your getting flowers from your old friends from highschool! Surely by now u kno ur VERY loved! u r a truely amazing person and an inspiration to all of us who r prayin for ya.

All My love,
Madison Rodery

May 18, 2007 at 10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mrs.Gaddy! how are you doing? I can't believe that it has really been 78 days since I last saw you at school. Well, After today(friday) there is only half of monday for school! Today hasn't started as good as a friday should be! We took this really hard test in english that no one enjoyed! We were all pretty upset, too, being the day berfore the last day of school... oh well! It's over now! We also just finished frog dissecting in science! Thank goodness! It was really getting gross! Well. I have to go, I will e-mail you sometime soon again! I love you and miss you and you are in my prayers!
Love,
Lauren Roy

May 18, 2007 at 10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sandi,
I'll be there in a few days to see your smiling face!!! Love you sweetie!
Ronda

May 18, 2007 at 10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mrs.Gaddy glad to here that you are doing good! 1/2 day left! Me and Abby are going to be in a parade tonight riding our horses so we are really excited! Well I hope to see you soon!
Love Always!,
Ellie Breaux:)

May 18, 2007 at 11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sandi, I know I have not seen you since High School, but when Amy Carroll sent me this website and I read all that you have been through I just had to say that I am thinking about you and you are in our thoughts and prayers.
I remember you always smiling and being so upbeat in high school, so fun to be around, obviously you have not changed a bit. Keep the spirits up, you are amazing!
Best Wishes,
Mandi (Fraley) Sonnenberg
class of 1992

May 22, 2007 at 6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home