Thoughts on a Challenging Journey

A journal composed during the day-to-day trials of a prolonged battle with colon cancer, updating friends and family on treatment, attitudes, thoughts, and feelings.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Update from Sandi


Hey everyone, it's me updating this time! Kristi hasn't been around for a while, so she doesn't really know what's going on. She'll have to read this along with the rest of you.


Not a whole lot has changed , but there are a few things to update you on. Today I finished the last of my six radiation treatments. I guess that's something. The radiation was not designed to shrink the internal tumors that are crowding my abdomen. I don't know if that had been made clear in earlier posts. We did very shallow electron radiation to shrink the tumors that are causing some open lesions on my skin in two places. I suppose it could possibly have some benefit on those beneath the skin, but we really radiated a very small area. I heard someone say they thought the radiation was to heal the tumors in my abdomen, and someone else mistakenly thought I was having chemotherapy treatments, and neither of those is the case.


The radiation was not unpleasant or painful in any way. Each day a transporter (his name was Joe, and he was incredibly nice and very accomodating. We had some interesting conversations!) would come to my room and wait patiently while we disconnected various tubes and things, then would move me to a very hard gurney, try to make me comfortable, then take me down to the first floor of the building across the skywalk where the radiation was conducted. The procedure itself took only a moment; I counted the seconds each day out of curiousity and none of the beams lasted longer than 60 seconds. Then we would return to my room get me back in my bed and get all my tubes and whatnot reconnected, and that was the end of it. It seemed like an awfully big effort involving a whole bunch of people for such a short treatment. I guess that's the job those techs and nurses are paid to do, though, so I probably shouldn't feel bad.


We have seen some improvement in some of the sores, and the radiation oncologist said that we will continue to see improvement for the next ten days or so. There are not supposed to be any side effects, either.


Don't know if it was mentioned in the last posting or not, but another milestone in my healing is that as of last Thursday, my naso-gastric tube has been removed and I no longer resemble an elephant. The tube was inserted upon my arrival to empty the contents of my stomach, and it continued to draw intermittently for the next several weeks. This was because my system was not moving anything through, but now that it seems to be healing, we don't need it anymore.

It had rubbed a very sore spot in the back of my throat, which made eating, drinking and even talking very painful. Removing it has allowed the sore to heal, which allows me to eat a little bit now. I still have to be careful. We don't know yet what my system can handle. We're taking it very slow. I'm thrilled to have it out. The tape that kept it in place was driving me nuts, and the whole thing was just a nuisance. It's so much better now!


Now that the tube is gone, radiation is finished, and I am so stable, there may be talk again of moving me to the Walnut Lawn facility, but we haven't heard anything yet. My doctor plans on leaving me here until the insurance company begins to complain. We will keep you posted on that.


Don't really know what else is going on with me. My days are pretty much the same each day. My mornings are busy with doctor visits, vital signs, breakfast, bandage-changing, physical and occupational therapy, and those kinds of things, then after lunch I almost always feel ready to rest. Most of my family has gone home, so it's a bit quieter than when my family and friends were camped up here making sure I was okay. I really look forward to their visits now that I have become used to having them here. I am blessed to have so many loving friends and family members.


I hope you can see in the picture I posted (sorry, not a great picture. I took it with my phone!) that my students at school have sent me a new poster celebrating Easter and reminding me that they still love me and miss me. Thanks, guys. Your notes and posters and cards are really a bright spot in my day. It has been so hard to be away, regardless of the fact that I am sick. I just miss doing the job I love. I hope you guys try your hardest on your MAP tests! Don't let your teachers down! Preparing students for that test is something I poured a huge amount of time and energy into every year. I'm sorry to have to miss it this year. I feel like I've let everybody down. Darn cancer! I know it's nothing I can control, so please, don't everybody comment and tell me that! I just felt the need to express that thought.


I know this whole thing is in God's control. I'm continuing to believe that healing is happening, and all I have to do is keep believing, keep trusting God's perfect will, and do my part to eat and get stronger. It's hard to have such an uncertain future, but I try to use each day to do something important. Even though I'm stuck in bed, I try to let the Christ-light shine through. As long as I'm here, I want to continue to do the work the Lord has called me to do.


Well, I've probably rattled on long enough for tonight. I'll update again in a few days or whenever something interesting happens. Till then, keep the comments coming; they're fun to read and it's good to know that someone is reading this stuff! All your prayers are appreciated too. Lots of love and blessings to all of my friends, family, and students. Love, Sandi

22 Comments:

Blogger Dave Edwards said...

Hey!! I'm a random blogger. I'm a Christian, and it sounds like you are too. Keep up the good work, and I hope your friend is getting better. Make sure you're living for God!
-Dave

April 10, 2007 at 9:45 PM  
Blogger Cindy Baum said...

Hi Sandi,

I am so glad to hear the tube has been taken out. I know that will make you feel much more comfortable. I pray this radiation is God's way of showing you his light. I know he is working miracles in you. Hang in there! I will come and visit you again very soon.
I spoke with Mike and the kids at Church last Sunday. It was good to see them.

Love,
Cindy

April 11, 2007 at 10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YEA! I was so excited to see a posting from you when I checked your blog today. I have appreciated the postings from Kristi. It was nice to know what was going on. It's just great to hear from you again! Glad to hear that there are some improvements being made. MAP testing is going well so far. Know that we all love and miss you! Take care!

April 11, 2007 at 10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Sandi,

It is so nice to finally be able to hear from you, it makes me so happy to know that you are feeling good enough to write again, I know how much that means to you. It is very exiting to be able to talk and eat again with no pain! (even though it is small food).
I hope you are feeling as well as the blog makes us think, it is so amazing to be able to have the internet and be able to talk with you. I know I would go crazy and I am sure others would if we could not talk with you on a weekly basis.
It seems that things are finally turning around for you and your family, that is so wonderful. I have some great news to tell you, I guess those days of Radio Speaking in Speach and Theater paid off, The principle came to me on Monday and asked if I would make the moring and afternoon annoucements on the intercom system. HOW COOL!! I thought hearing something from school would cheer you up. Enough 4 now get some rest, talk to you later and hope everything continues to go in your favor.

Hugs and Prayer,
Austin Dinwiddie

P.S I know there were several of us wondering if you could have visitors yet.

April 11, 2007 at 12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey M-G! I'm at school in computers so I can't say much. But I was so happy to hear from you. Don't think we aren't thinking of you because we haven't sent you a whole lot of posters lately. School has been especially busy and exhausting with all the Map stuff lately. But we are just thanking god that he is send you up the mountain than down it.If you get my little metaphor (if that is even a metaphor???) Well I quess I need you here to tell me if it is a metaphor or simile or hypercole. I really dont know. Ummm well I g2g. So... I will "post" u later. Get it? Never mind that was stupid.
thoughts and prayers,
whitney hale

April 11, 2007 at 1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sandi, It's so good to hear from you! I know it's hard for you to be away from your students and everyone else but we are all there with you in spirit. Keep getting stronger!! As always I believe.

Love, Paula

April 11, 2007 at 5:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Sandi,

Wow!! It is wonderful to hear from you again. God is doing a great work here. You continue to be awe-inspiring with your strength, grace, and faith. I am blessed to call you friend. Hang in there girl.

Love and Prayers,
Mary

April 11, 2007 at 5:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mrs. Gaddy,
I dont have much to say becuase I just wrote you a really long email! Im so happy that the tube is out just like you are. Map is going good just really boring!
I love you
Abby Steelman

April 11, 2007 at 9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's good to finally read a post from you. I don't know what I could say that others haven't already said. Keep on keepin on... :-)

April 11, 2007 at 10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sandi,
Good to hear from YOU. I am winding down my last year at L-R and it is a bit bittersweet, but I am looking forward to having more time for my family and myself. I have been blessed to work with some very wonderful people (like you) and will definitely miss that part. You know how to email me if you need me in any way.
Jerri Stanley

April 12, 2007 at 8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, im an anonymmous student in fith grade at school. I really was glad that you can see sighns of cure.keep in there and keep going strong!!!

April 16, 2007 at 2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi Im liz knox from logan rogersville upper you probley know my brother john. we have been thinking about you and we hope you get better soon . i hope i get in one of your classes when i am older.

April 16, 2007 at 2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!I am Skyler Ellison and I go to Logan Rogersville schools. I am in 5th grade and know your son,Logan.I have been hearing a lot about you lately and just wanted to say that things are going very well here.I never knew you but my mom,Michele Ellison,knew you when she worked at the schools and she is worried about you.It is like I know you because I here so much about you beacase everyone here loves you and wants everyone to know about you!Well,I have to go,schools almost over.Bye!!!!!

April 16, 2007 at 2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Miss Gaddy! Its awesome that you are getting better! Map testing is gooing really good, i think that we were pretty prepared for it, but it would have been awesome if you were there, well i have to go so bye!
miss you lots,
Lauren Roy

April 19, 2007 at 12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ms.Gaddy,
I just want to letyou know we miss you. I would love to come visit you sometime in the future, but until then I just hope you're doing well, it sounds like it.; )
Keep on being strong!
Keep it up!
Hannah Lowe

April 19, 2007 at 9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hay Mrs.Gaddy
This is Lindsey Nash, Chloe Massengale, and Katie Chesser. We all miss you SO much!! MAP went good for the most part. We all did good, Mr. McPheters said we deserved a day off ( because we were watching a movie in class), and so yeah. Anyways Chloe says hi and that she misses you and cant wait for you to get back and she loves you. I know not the right way to write but thats ok. Katie says hi and that she misses you cant wait for you to get back and loves you too. We all miss you so much and cant wait for you to get back. So we all have a ?....have you got to write any more of your book at all? Well thats what Chloe and I wanted to know. How its going and stuff. We all want to come and see you. But we dont know if we can...we miss you. In Mrs. Wallace's classroom shes doing pretty good but no one in there will be the same until you get back!!!
Anyways we have to go play softball with Mrs. Elliott.
Love you always,
Chloe Lindsey and Katie (and hannah mcgaughy and sarah morris...duh!!)

April 20, 2007 at 11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mrs. Gaddy,
Oh my gosh, the handbook from last year helped me so much on the MAP review in English. I used it on a ton of the worksheets. You're in my thoughts and prayers. Miss you bunches!
Love,
Abbey Felton

April 20, 2007 at 9:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mrs.Gaddy!!! We miss you SSSOOO much!!! Well we just got done MAP testing in math and it was really easy! We have 18 more days of school left!!!!! I am SSOO glad!!I sent you a really funny e-mail thing so I hope you got it. It was REALLY funny!!! Well we just had 4 baby chicks hatch and they are SOO cute! Well I think I see one of my ponies out so I better go see whats going on, but I hope you get to feeling better and I hope to see you soon!
LOVE ALWAYS!,
Ellie Breaux

April 25, 2007 at 6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mrs. Gaddy,
I miss u, it is raining and storming out right now. u arent missing a thing. trust me. I heard u can only have family visit u, true? Map testing is over thak goodness. i miss u so much, everyone does.
well ttyl luv ya and miss ya
abby steelman keep fightin

April 27, 2007 at 9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mrs. Gaddy,
Hi, I don't know if you remember me, but my name is Becky Horton. Andy is my son..and I'm quite sure you remember him! I just wanted you to know...that even though I don't know you on a personal basis, that I feel like I do! I teach 6th, 7th, and 8th grade Sunday School at Rogersville First Baptist. I also teach an 8th grade "small group" on Wednesday nights. Every week when I ask for prayer requests, you are ALWAYS the first one on our list. These kids love you so much! When I hear them praying for you, it is obvious to me what a difference you've made in their lives not only by the awesome way you teach, but by your Christian testimony. It is so refreshing for me to hear from them about your love of the Lord and how you are trusting in Him to take care of you! At Youth on Wednesday evening, we got word that you were having a really bad night, so I immediately asked the kids to form a circle, holding hands, and we prayed for you. Right after we prayed, there was a beautiful double rainbow outside! That was a sign of hope...that night you improved! God is so good! I just wanted you to know that I appreciate all you do for these kids, and that we will continue to lift you up in our prayers. Phil 4:13
Keep The Faith! Becky

Andy asked for me to say hello and that he is praying for you!

April 28, 2007 at 12:07 AM  
Blogger Kathy Goff said...

Hi Sandy, Kathy Smith just gave me your blog address. I have been thinking about you and keeping you and your family in my prayers. I am so sorry that you have had to go through all this. You are one of the reasons that I am working on the Rogersville Relay for life again. It is so frustrating not to be able to really help you. But it is my hope that someday if we keep fighting and raising money for research we will know enough about cancer to make easier on you and others. You have really set a great example of how to go through this with grace. Love, Kathy Goff

April 28, 2007 at 1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

November 22, 2009 at 7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home