Thoughts on a Challenging Journey

A journal composed during the day-to-day trials of a prolonged battle with colon cancer, updating friends and family on treatment, attitudes, thoughts, and feelings.

Thursday, May 31, 2007

12 Weeks Today

It has officially been twelve weeks today since Sandi was admitted to the hospital. Tomorrow we will have been here at Walnut lawn as long as we were up on the 5th floor at Cox South. It is hard to believe, we still feel sometimes like we are training nurses here. We will miss them when we are gone..... but not like we still miss the staff on 5 west!

Sandi is doing well still. She is sleepy in the mornings but has been working her tail off trying to strengthen her legs and arms doing physical therapy. We work on getting her up and out of bed twice a day. She can stand with some help and yesterday we managed to get her into a wheelchair that allowed us to sit her by the sink so she could have her hair washed and cut. She said it felt great. Imagine going three months without having your hair REALLY washed! We have been using the shower caps for washing her hair but the feeling of actual water running over her head was a luxury she had missed! Dee did a terrific job cutting her hair and it is really cute. Much easier to take care of when we get out of here!

THAT'S RIGHT! I said OUT OF HERE! Sandi is headed home! We spent a day earlier this week interviewing home health agency's and hospices and managed to find one that we think will be the perfect fit! Season's hospice will be helping us take Sandi home next week. One week from today in fact! We will spend the time between now and then trying to make sure we have her care as simple as possible and trying to move out of here. Six weeks allows you to accumulate a LOT of stuff! Computers, sewing machines, books, cd's, posters, tea machines, refrigerators. You name it, we probably have it here! As much of a pain as it will be to move it all back out, it has made our stay feel much less clinical and more homey. Every person that walks in the room for the first time spends time looking around and is overwhelmed by the outpouring of love and support Sandi has shown on these walls. I don't think we will be decorating her walls at home however, she is just happy to get the opportunity to see those walls again!

Sandi will be happy to have visitors at home but we probably need to wait at least until Friday to visit to make sure we have her settled in and acquainted with the staff of her new hospice and she can have a chance to rest after the hassle of the ambulance ride home! Those cots are not meant for patients with no padding!

I am going to sign off for now. We have an appointment with PT!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sandi,

So glad to hear that you will be going home soon! You have such a positive attitude and outlook on life - I really respect you for that. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers daily. You are such a wonderful woman and such an inspiration to so many people everywhere.

God Bless,
Brenda (Turner) Shivers

May 31, 2007 at 12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mrs. Gaddy,
Glad to hear you are doing well and going home now! You have such a positive outlook on everything it sound slike- keep it up! It has been about 5 or 6 years since I have had you in class. You are in our family's prayers!

With love,
Alysia Gaddie

May 31, 2007 at 2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mrs.Gaddy, that is really exciting you might get to go home, I was worried i wasnt going to see you for a while since you are going home, but i might get to after all. I am in Oklahoma right now for my barrel race so i am on the hotel computer, but all is going good except that my horse is going totally syco! He frieks out if some just walks by his stall. I'm worried he won't do good. We are getting ready to go to the thoroughbred horse races in a little bit, that will be fun. I bet you are really excited about going home. Maybe since it will be a different surounding you will get better sooner. Remember to keep fighting! Well I better go
Luv and miss ya,
Abby Your in my prayers!!!

May 31, 2007 at 3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How Wonderful that you are going home. You will enjoy seeing your home and those 4 walls instead of the hospital!!!

Best Wishes,
Sharon from Idaho

May 31, 2007 at 8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sandi,
Hi,I'm glad to hear your going home and your doing better.The butterflies are beautiful.Please tell Kristi thanks for the update.Say Hi to everyone from me.
Love ya,Debbie

p.s.I would write more,just remember this is your older cousin and I told you I wasnt good at the computer.

May 31, 2007 at 9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I AM SSSOOO GLAD THAT YOU GET TO GO HOME!!!!! It will be MUCH better to be in your own home! I really don't know what I would do with myself if I couldn't wash my hair the right way on a regular basis! Since schools out I don't really know what to do with myself! I am so bored! Yuor blog and my horses keep me busy most of the time! But otherwise this summer is going good. We just had a couple more chicks that hatched and I just got a new horse! So I am really excited about that! Her name is Nanna Lu and she will be here Sunday! OH! I AM JUST SO GLAD THAT YOU GET TO GO HOME!!!! THAT IS SO GREAT!!! Well I gotta go so keep it up!
Love Always!,
Ellie Breaux :)

June 1, 2007 at 2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! You get to go home! That is great Sandi. I bet you can't wait to get there. I hope you have a smooth and safe move back to your home and I will be praying for you and thinking positive and loving thoughts for you. Keep up the great work! Miss you!

Casey G.

June 1, 2007 at 3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mrs. Gaddy

Hi how are you doing! It has been a long time since i have seen you and it sounds like this means even longer. I guess this means We will have to talk over the phone. I have my doctor appt. on monday, lets hope everything goes ok. I will either com by and see you or make a post on what the dr. said. I am finally getting scared, the spots that came up are getting bigger and darker, not good. Well thats enough about me.

That is vary exiting that you are going to go home, I know how this must make u feel being around you husband and kids. It allways helps to have that 1 positive and encouraging person around you, luckly you have a whole fan club of them. You are an amazing women with a long wonderfull life ahead of you, So rest and recover for now and party later ( haha). Thinks so much for everything.

God really does have a plan for everyone.

See Ya Soon
Hugs and prayers
Austin Dinwiddie

June 2, 2007 at 4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home