Thoughts on a Challenging Journey

A journal composed during the day-to-day trials of a prolonged battle with colon cancer, updating friends and family on treatment, attitudes, thoughts, and feelings.

Saturday, June 9, 2007

Thank You

As Sandi's family we want to thank all of you that have been there for Sandi. Many of her friends and loved ones visited her regularly and wanted to let her know how much she was loved. The Memorial service and Funeral were truly beautiful and I think she would have been happy that we chose to celebrate the time she was with us. It does not make it easier when our hearts are hurting and we are having a weak moment feeling sorry for ourselves but we will all find as time goes on that we can think of the good and great times with her without tears coming to our eyes.

For those of you who were not able to be at the graveside service, we buried Sandi at the Rivermonte Cemetery which is visible at the intersection of Hwy 65 and Hwy 60. She loved the thought that we would all think of her every time we drove past. When you look up the hill know that Sandi is resting in the shadow of the three large crosses.

One of the more touching moments in the graveside service was a surprise for Logan and Lauren. Sandi loved butterflies, you may have read in past posts that we even raised them in her hospital room, watching them transform from ordinary caterpillars to beautiful painted ladies. The staff at the funeral home heard of this and managed to find butterflies for the children to release at her graveside. While Sandi was never ordinary, I like to think that Sandi was like those butterflies. She was a caterpillar here on earth and has now gone through that difficult transformation to become as free as one of those beautiful creatures. It was very touching to see the butterflies fluttering around at the service.

I am not sure if this will be the last post here, more than likely it will. I think that it is time for closure and trying to heal our hearts.

Sandi...

We love you and miss you more than words can say.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hadn't seen Sandy for a couple of years. Last time I saw her she had just finished treatment and been given a good report. She and I shared many special times together and I was saddened and shocked when I picked up the paper this weekend and saw Sandy's obituary. I so wish I had gotten a chance to see her again, but thank you, and her, for this blog. I had no idea she was going through all of this, but as I read the blog I could hear Sandy's voice. She was a ray of sunshine...no matter what and I have no doubt that she continued to shine until the end. My condolances to all of you, her family and friends. Sandy will be greatly missed.

June 10, 2007 at 8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristi, your final comments were very touching and I want to commend you for your exceptionally good writing style. Sandi was a wonderful writer, too, and I enjoyed her blogs when she was able to contribute. I followed them faithfully over the past several months. I can't even imagine what your entire family is going through, especially her children, but please know that you are all in my thoughts and prayers. Ginger Aitken, Havelock, NC

June 11, 2007 at 8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sandi's story has been such an inspiration. Thank you for sharing with all of us.
DC

June 19, 2007 at 1:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We miss you very much Mrs. Gaddy. You were one of the most caring and understanding teachers I ever had. There are few teachers who leave an impression on their students that lasts the way yours has. You will be forever missed.

Love,

Danee (Hall) Fosdick

July 15, 2007 at 9:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gostei muito desse post e seu blog é muito interessante, vou passar por aqui sempre =) Depois dá uma passada lá no meu site, que é sobre o CresceNet, espero que goste. O endereço dele é http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . Um abraço.

December 31, 2007 at 1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Celular, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://telefone-celular-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

March 18, 2008 at 6:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

missed but not far from ever being possibly forgotten... sorry about the cliche but it works

May 20, 2008 at 12:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heaven recieved an angel today
The doctors just couldn't take your pain away

A four year battle and you did all you could
Never gave up, and loved God like you should

I've never seen so much faith and pride to be his Child
He stayed by your side and held you every mile

Four years ago, that day is carved in my mind
Pulled into the gym to find out you were in a bind

We used to go to lunch and talk about books
Weird to other people, we got our share of looks

But I never cared, you were like my mom
Blind, who thought something could ever be wrong

You never flinched, complained, or questioned
They were brief, cancer is all they mentioned

My head fell, so did my tears
But your hand lifted my chin, and washed out my fears

You were so brave and took it head on
You're everyone's inspiring song

You always said you had a purpose, a goal
A reason, a job, a duty, a role

To reach the "unreachable", help them learn to love to write and read
Little did you know that unreachable kid, that student, was me

Your "calling" was answered, you touched my life
Left behind a desire, a passion, your light

I got stares even with out you there
Hung my head, look up, I didn't dare

I felt you all around, you kept saying its ok
You're in my life, and heart to stay

You can't be replaced
Your death is hard to face

I guess I'm still in shock and dismay
I never thought it would end this way

I heard you asked about me, I should have came by
But I knew all I'd be able to spit out is "hi".

It kills me to know you were in pain like that
They say you're whole now, no more needings hats :)))

Everytime I write I think of you and what you did
You took a gamble on me, made your high bid

Came out on top, and got what you wanted
I now have your passion, tho I try not to flaunt it :) (had to rhyme somehow lol)

Every bit of what I write and do
Is all because of your love and you

I know you're up there watching over me
You're a beautiful angel and Heaven is so lucky

BY: Jennah Custer


I wrote this on June 27, 2007. Two years is sneaking up on us, and I wanted to post this just to remember the kind of person she made me and forget about the days, weeks, months, and now years of how long she's been gone. Thanks so much for posting it Kristi. I love you guys. You have a second niece and you didn't even know it lol !! Thanks again, you all take care.

Jennah

May 21, 2009 at 1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home