Thoughts on a Challenging Journey

A journal composed during the day-to-day trials of a prolonged battle with colon cancer, updating friends and family on treatment, attitudes, thoughts, and feelings.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

And Now, What You've All Been Waiting For...

We have news! And though it's not staggeringly good news, it isn't bad either. So, here it is:
Basically, little has changed since we began treatments. Which means the regimen I'm using has stopped the cancer from progressing. It just hasn't done too much to turn it around in the other direction. So, it's just like I said. Not the best news, but not bad. The doctors would have liked to see more progress, but the lack of forward progress is not disturbing.

Actually, what happened yesterday when I saw the doctor was this: He said, "So, how have you been feeling since you were here last time?" and I told him what I've told many of you who have asked, "I haven't felt much of a difference at all. I feel a little stronger, maybe, but not much change at all." and the doctor chuckled and said, "Well, that's pretty much what your CT scan shows. Compared to your last visit, we see very little change." Which isn't all bad, he went on to explain. Nothing is any larger or more pronounced. Nothing new has appeared either. What this means, however, is a change in my treatment plan is necessary.

Apparently this is not going to be a big change at this point. The doctor mentioned that (as I have probably brought up at some point before) there is a regimen that includes chemo, but we are not going to go that route yet. Instead we will add some other "oral elements" or basically a few more supplements to what we are already doing. These elements, the doctor said, are what they use with their "tougher" or "more resistant" cases, though he said he would not at this point classify me as a "tough case". Anyhow, we will put in these new medications and give it a few weeks to see how it goes. At that point we will again make a decision about raising things a level again. We still haven't used every approach we have, and we don't want to. We want to keep something on the back burner to pull out as a last resort. Let's just pray we never have to use it.

Considering my lack of progress, it's easy to see why I really couldn't tell a difference in the way I feel. I had expected the news to be something like this; again it's that intuition thing. I just knew we hadn't blown it away. I can't say I was terribly disappointed, given that I had expected this result. I'm just thrilled that things aren't moving in the wrong direction. That alone, is a blessing to me! Some of you undoubtedly wonder how Mike and my mom and sister feel about the lack of progress, and though I haven't heard them say much, I get the feeling they all had really hoped for more, but are happy with the fact that we have at leased stopped the cancer for now. I'll probably hear more about that today.

I feel pretty good since I have been here. Tuesday was a long day of treatments. I had just about everything they offer. Some things had to be given very slowly over several hours because of a reaction I had at one time before. That made it seem like a very long day. Today they are about ready to get started again. I have all my treatments again today too, starting in about 30 minutes. I guess that means I'd better go get dressed. This is not like a hospital at home where you check in and get in bed. We are all up and around and dressed each day until bedtime, and we come and go as we please. I can go to the beach or the store if I want, as long as I've had my treatments and no one is looking for me. It's all very realxed. Yesterday the doctors even came looking for me in the cafeteria during lunch. Then they waited for me to finish. Whole different world!

Well, I'll let you all know if there's anything worth telling you about today. Until then, goodbye, and Happy Valentines Day!

7 Comments:

Blogger Cindy Baum said...

Sandi,
I know we had all hoped for some better news. But we have to take what we are given and make good of it. I am glad to hear that it has stopped the progression. That is good news! You have to start somewhere and I guess this is where its going to start from. The Lord knows what he is doing. You are his child, and he is healing you and taking care of you. I know sometimes he challenges us to test our faith. But you have complete faith and we all know that. Because of that you have taught so many people what it is truely like to be a faithful Christian. Thank you for teaching me, as I really do look up to you.
I can't wait to see you when you get home. I am not going to worry about "bothering" you. As I know now.
How is the family holding up on their part of the food deal? Mike cracks me up!! It made me laugh out loud to hear he wanted tacos and pizza when you first got there. Hang in there Mike.
God Bless you and your family,

February 14, 2007 at 12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sandi: Thank you for bringing us up todate. The news is good and I want to encourage you to keep up the good fight and keep your faith. Gene

February 14, 2007 at 12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know the news could have been better, but I think all that you shared is AWESOME!!!! It's a start in the right direction! Take care! Kodi

February 14, 2007 at 3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sandi,

We are so happy to hear that there hasn't been anymore spreading! It must feel really good to have your mom and sister there. We are praying for you constantly and you are always in our thoughts.

Love you,
Court

February 14, 2007 at 10:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are such an inspiration to all of us! Sending my love and prayers!
Ronda

February 15, 2007 at 8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sandi:
I am very excited about the news of the day! I believe that stoping the spreading of anything negative in our body is a very good thing and that it being arrested is great! I hope you know how much you are loved and when I hear of all the prayers going up for you I am truly amazed. It blesses me tremendously. Can I share some sweet valentine sayings with you? What does love mean? Rebecca age 8 says...when my grandmother got arthritis, she couldn't bend over and paint her toenails anymore. So my grandfather does it for her all the time, even when his hands got arthritis too. That's love. Billy age 4 says....When someone loves you, the way they say your name is different. You just know that your name is safe in their mouth. I know your name and life is safe in the Lord's mouth, Sandi. I love you!

February 15, 2007 at 9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why hello there you amazing lady you...This is Jennah Custer. I'll let the shock sink in and then i'll start talking :) I don't even know where to start or what to say. But first things first, I'm sorry i never brought those books back. (laughing) But now I want to keep them forever, and probably will if that's ok. I remember when you and I got your whole book started. I'm not going to lie, I haven't gotten much further on mine, but I promise I will finish it. It was about us remember? We came up with the idea over some lunch, someone asked if you were my mom. Its about the girl who goes to a new school and realizes her teacher is her mom. You're the whole reason I started writing in the first place. I remember in 8th grade when they pulled us into the gym to tell us you were sick. I lost it. I never thought we'd be at this point. I never thought I'd be writing a last letter to you. I should have kept in touch more. I should have been there. And I'm sorry. You will never know what you meant to this entire community. Let me just tell you, that you've done what you set out to do. You've changed and touched so many in the short time we've known you. Our whole 5th hour class was on your website the other day and the whole class including teacher Mr. Felton was in tears. No one has anything bad to say about you. You're a kindred spirit. You've done nothing but help those who needed someone like you in their lives. I needed it, and I will never be able to thank you enough. I haven't stopped writing since your class. More poems than anything, haha does that surprise you? Its what i was always best at. Because of you. I've never stopped thinking about you and always wondering how you were, and when i heard the news i did from people at school, i again lost it. You're such a beautiful person. And I don't know how else to end this letter than just to do it. I'm well aware of whats about to happen, and I'll be there. You'll see me. I promise. I'm sorry I wasn't here sooner but I knew I had to get on here and write this as soon as I could. You have to know that I love you and you carved something in my heart that year that i'll never forget. Millions will think of you everyday. I wish you could read some of my new stuff. I try not to be mad cause I know HE has bigger plans for you and I than we can even wrap our minds around. And life isn't going to make sense to me for a little while, but I know you'll be there right with all of us. I graduate next year. I wish you could see it. We've all grown up so much and the one thing we remember most about middle school is you. You were the best thing thats ever happened to that school. You're exactly what everyone needed. And now you need us, and we're going to be there. I love you so much and wish your family the best in this, even tho the best would be to have you forever. God's going to pull them through. You've touch my life more than you'll ever know. And I have to say "I love You" for Kenzie Fite. I was asking him for this site and told him I have to do it today or I'm going to be too late. And he said tell her I love her. Surprise surprise we all love you. You're God sent. I hope you know that. We love you so much and I know I'll see you again.

Always and Forever,
Jennah Custer

March 11, 2007 at 11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home