Thoughts on a Challenging Journey

A journal composed during the day-to-day trials of a prolonged battle with colon cancer, updating friends and family on treatment, attitudes, thoughts, and feelings.

Monday, January 22, 2007

Home Again...and I am finally updating!

Wow-it has been a long time since I updated my blog. I had no intention of leaving you hanging, and I apologize to any of you who wondered if our plane just never came down! We are home, and I am focusing hard on taking all of my supplements each day and following my diet to the letter. That's why it didn't really occur to me to update.

As of my last update last Saturday, we had an uneventful few days finishing up treatment, then we flew to San Diego on Monday, where we saw a little of the city and stayed overnight. Then on Tuesday we flew home to some children and family members who were almost as happy to see us as we were to see them! We got home to an ice-covered wonderland--or nightmare, depending on how you look at it. I thought it was beautiful, but it certainly was cold. When the plane arrived at the Springfield airport, we were stuck on the plane for a long time because they couldn't get the jetway to motor over to the door of the plane. It was frozen solid! They had to use a tug and move the airplane instead to a jetway that worked.

Since arriving home I haven't felt terribly well. I don't know if it was just the adjustment after the rigors of traveling, or what, but I don't have a great deal of strength and I seem to suffer from a great deal of pain that my pain killers sometimes don't even touch. Part of the problem seems to be indigestion-related bloating. Everything I eat seems to cause discomfort, and I eat very, very little. However, with faith, I continue to force myself knowing that I must follow doctors orders and that this, too, shall pass. One of these days I'm going to feel better.

My main focus since coming home has been following my treatments to the letter. There have been some bumps in the road, so this has been a bit of a challenge. First of all, each morning I have to divvy up my 20 or so supplements into the appropriate comparments in my daily vitamin dispenser. Most people use the dispenser for a week. I fill it and empty it daily. When I got home and started to sort my pills, I discovered that two of the things I was perscribed are missing. I called, and was told that I was supposed to get those at the hospital pharmacy. Nobody mentioned that at the time. I was able to locate and purchase one of the products online, thank God, so today that problem was solved. I called about the other, and there is some confusion about whether I should even be taking it, so I'm waiting to hear back from the doctor. Hopefully I can locate it somewhere.

In additon to the supplements, my treatment includes continuing the strict diet I was on in Mexico. This hasn't been too bad with the help I've had so far from my mother-in-law, who has worked so unbelieveably hard to help me. She provides me with a veggie tray and fruit tray that I can make meals from easily all day, and then she is providing meals every couple of days as well. We are trying to eat dinners made for me that the whole family can eat. That has been an adjustment. They have become very accustomed to eating what they want when they want, and they don't like having to wait. They'll adjust. My mom also spent a day baking up a storm some goodies I can eat that are good for me too. I am so blessed to have this help!

The third element of my treatment really threw us for a loop. There is an injection I am supposed to take three times a week, that I cannot give myself, and it is not approved for use in the US, so a doctor/nurse cannot give it to me. Mike and I took training in the hospital on giving the injection. Mike will be no help whatsoever. Carol is out of the running, too. The other problem I have, besides who to give me the injection, is that I didn't get my syringes from the hospital pharmacy, either. Another communication problem, I guess. We really had trouble with the idea of the injection. We simply had no idea that it would be required, and the training just made us realize that we are going to need help with this. The size of the needle prescribed for our use is 18 gauge, and for those of you who don't know nursing, think Garden Hose. You can see the opening in the end of the needle from across the room. No. Way.

Well, obviously, not taking the shot is not an option. It is necessary for my treatment. So, my local physicain has taken care of the syringes and needles (size 23, at my mom's suggestion. MUCH better. Smaller, shorter, almost can't see the hole in the end). We tried to find a way I could use the port I always use for chemo, but all attempts at that end also didn't work. Now, with these smaller needles, I have resigned myself to receiving the injection three days a week. I have already had 2 injections, and they really didn't hurt at all. I was amazed. The only problem I have now is that the person who gave me the injections cannot really continue to do so, so I am keeping my eyes open for someone with nursing experience who is willing to come to my home to give this injection to me. I have a prescription for it, but as I mentioned before, it is not authorized for use in the US. What that means is, technically, someone who is a licensed nurse is not really allowed to give it to me. I'm hoping I can find someone willing to overlook that fact and come to my home to do it, no questions asked. Any takers?

I have rested a great deal this week. I'm really not feeling great, but it seems at times that I glimpse a light at the end of the tunnel and I just keep putting one foot in front of the other, so to speak. It will get easier, my ability to eat will improve, and gradually I WILL get better. I'm told that there is to be a fundraiser this Saturday in my honor. It's being held at the Lamplighter Inn at Glenstone and Sunshine from 2pm until 5. A former student I have had the pleasure of working with has gone to an enormous amount of trouble to get donations for a raffle and silent auction and I don't really know what else. McAlisters will be providing drinks for up to 200 people, he said. He has put it in the paper, on the radio, and has made flyers. He called today to tell me, and I'm going to try to show up for a little while. I am so incredibly blessed with the efforts of this young man who is pursuing a teaching degree--thanks to me, he said. You are an amazing person, Austin, and I can't thank you enough. It is efforts like these that give me the energy to keep fighting back.

Hopefully this update has satisfied the curiosity of many. I will try to be more regular from now on. Thanks for all the love and prayers. I love you all!

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wish we could make it up there for the fundraiser. It is good to have you home again. Even if that isn't really all that close to me at least you are in the same time zone!

January 22, 2007 at 10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there honey...better days are coming. It is great to have yu home. Love you so much. Mom

January 23, 2007 at 9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sandi,

I was so glad to read your blog today. I was without power for about 6 days and wondered about you every day. I hope that you will begin feeling better soon. Someone needs to take you shopping girl! It sounds like that worked really well for you in Mexico! :)
Take care! I hope that the pain will ease soon and allow you to fully enjoy your time at home with your family before you head out again! Kodi Logan

January 23, 2007 at 3:41 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Hey there, Sandi! I haven't kept in touch like I should, but never stopped praying for you! Like Kodi, our power was out for about a week. Let me know if you find a "shot giver" because my mom used to work at a hospital (lab tech) and gave me shots when I was younger. She is now a Community Blood Center. I could ask her! Take care, Holly Elliott

January 23, 2007 at 7:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Gee, I'd be willing to give you your shots, but NEITHER of us would like it.....

You certainly are blessed with your Mother AND Mother-in-Law. What a great help they've been to you.

Hopefully on your next trip to Mexico you will get ALL your supplies before you leave. Between Mike, Kristi & your Mom, you will be well looked after.

Hope you feel better & stronger SOON. Thinking of you often.
Love, Aunt Betty

January 24, 2007 at 12:28 AM  
Blogger Cindy Baum said...

Hey Sandi,
Its so good to hear from you. I'm glad you had a safe trip home. I can't wait to see you. Allicia told me she saw you at the Upward game last Saturday. I will call you soon, I just don't want to bother you while you are resting. I didn't know about the fundraiser, but I will make every attempt to be there. If you need anything PLEASE PLEASE let me know. I will do anything I can to help you (except I cannot give you shots-I would probably pass out and that would not be good!) But I will ask around. I hope you start to get your energy back soon. I will talk to you real soon.
Love,
Cindy Baum

January 24, 2007 at 9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sandy,

I am so happy you made it home safely. It sounds like you are doing everything you can to get better. I know prayer is the main ingredient. I hope to see you soon. I really enjoyed reading the
bloggs.

Have a great week! Suzanne

January 26, 2007 at 8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home